It’s been a great year for games and now the year is drawing to a close, it’s time to reflect on all the great games, achievements and trophies we played our socks off to earn in 2010. Here’s my list of games I’ve really enjoyed for a variety of reasons in 2010. Also there’s a list of games to look out for in 2011.
Tell us what games you enjoyed playing in 2010.
01. Alan Wake (360)- Engaging story, excellent atmosphere. Combat can be a bit routine, but biggest surprise and most enjoyable game of the year for me.
02. God of War 3 (PS3)- Kratos has still got it!
03. Mass Effect 2 (360) – Bioware are crafting this franchise into epic proportions. Brilliant, engaging game.
04. Heavy Rain (PS3) – Very atmospheric game, well paced and maintains interest throughout. Control interface is innovative, but can be awkward to use at certain points in the game.
05. Enslaved (360/PS3) – An epic journey of a game. Very underrated, but beautiful graphics, an engaging story and some first class voice acting make this a game well worth a play-through.
06. Splinter Cell Conviction (360) – The franchise is still delivering solid stealth action. Play it!
07. Split/Second:Velocity (360/PS3) – Another underrated title which delivers massive amounts of fun especially online with friends. A pity there’s been no DLC to extend the games longevity, but well worth a play.
08. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP) – By far the best portable MGS title. Controls and gameplay are thoroughly enjoyable.
09. Professor Layton and the Lost Future (Nintendo DS) – Prof. Layton is back to solve another mystery and stretch our grey matter with some new puzzles. Love it.
10. Kinect Adventures (360) – Kinect has been the surprise of the year for me. I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I do. I’m waving my arms around in the air like a nut, but somehow it doesn’t feel wrong or silly? Great fun and possibly even a bit of a health benefit too. WIN!
Biggest disappointments of 2010.
Call of Duty: Black Ops (360/PS3/PC) – It’s here because of the multiplayer (I have no interest in the campaign in CoD games, but I’m reliably informed the single-player is great). Online gaming with BlackOps has turned out to be a bit naff and ‘clunky’ to use and ‘sluggish’ compared to MW2. When I play this game, I feel like I’m reloading all the time. The Theater Mode are the best features of the game, but can’t compensate for perceivably weaker game mechanics. The PS3 version was almost a total disaster until the update patch. I recommend ‘upskilling’ to Modern Warfare 2 – it’s more accurate and the perks are more interesting. Mind you, the Huey ‘Chopper Gunner’ killstreak in BlackOps is pretty satisfying. The pinnacle of success in BlackOps is to obtain the Huey while playing NukeTown because it’s TOTAL CARNAGE!
Rocket Joy – Example of the Theater Mode in Black Ops:
Gran Turismo 5
(PS3) – OK, I’m willing to admit there is a lot of mileage (pun alert) in this game, but unfortunately it could never live up to our expectations. Only 200 premium cars out of 1000? Lots of network problems dogged the release. What have they been doing for 5 years?
Halo: Reach (360) – The campaign is nicely done as we’ve come to expect. The multiplayer is more of the same. It feels like Halo 2.2 in HD and with jetpacks. JETPACKS???? I must have it!
Well, there it is. 2010 was a great year with a few pleasant surprises. 2011 is shaping up to be a good year in gaming too with titles on the way such as…
- LittleBigPlanet 2 - Jan. 18, 2011 PS3
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution – March 8, 2011 PS3, X360, PC
- Portal 2 – April 21, 2011 MAC, PC, X360, PS3
- Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception – Nov. 1, 2011 PS3
- Metal Gear Solid: Rising – July 3, 2011 X360, PC, PS3
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – Nov. 11, 2011 PS3, X360, PC
- Forza Motorsport 4 – Expected: Q4 2011 X360
- Gears of War 3 – Expected: Q4 2011 X360